New protests call for a Transnistrian checkpoint removal
By Valeriu Gonta / Chisinau / Moldova.org / -- More protests will be organized tomorrow, January 9 in Vadul lui Voda, on the bridge where a week ago an 18-year-old boy was shot to death by the Russian peacekeepers. The people of some of the towns around the Transnistrian checkpoint have previously demanded from the national authorities to remove the station.
Over 500 people are expected to rally tomorrow from 10:00 AM (local time) until 1:00 PM. In case their wishes won’t be implemented until 1 PM, the protesters will remove the installations themselves.
“It is a joint decision; we will come to the protest with tractors and cranes, and we are willing to remove them by ourselves if the authorities don’t get involved,” told Anatol Croitoru to Moldova.ORG. Mr. Croitoru is the president of Culture and Law “Transnistria” Association from Cosnita town.
“During his visit, Vlad Filat (the Moldovan premier) asked the inhabitants to be patient. We are patient for 20 years now and we tolerate these foreign soldiers. It’s enough!” added Mr. Croitoru. He also said that the people in the region don’t want to have armed soldiers around them.